Transportation Security Administration Administrator David Pekoske toured the Center for Awareness and Localization of Explosives-Related Threats (ALERT) on Friday to see if the technology...
You are here
- Compressive sensing and modeling using mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- Computational methods for differential and integral equations
- Physics-based signal processing, imaging and optimization
- Radar system specification and design, including antenna optimization
- Subsurface scattering analysis in biomedical and geophysical applications
- Explosives detection: portal-based, standoff-based, and underground-based
- Multimodal breast cancer detection: x-ray and thermoacoustic-tomography
- Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) using mechanical and electromagnetic waves
- Micro-sized microwave atmospheric sounding satellites
- PhD (2005), Electrical Engineering, University of Vigo (Spain)
- "Best Paper Award" on the 2012 IEEE Homeland Security Technology Conference, Waltham, MA, for the paper: "A Compressed Sensing Approach for Detection of Explosive Threats at Standoff Distances using a Passive Array of Scatters."
- First prize on the 2012 National Security Innovation Competition (NSIC). Advisor for students that presented our research project: "Next Generation Millimeter-Wave Body Imaging for Concealed Threat Detection," University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (UCCS).
- Paper featured in the cover page: J. G. Meana, J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al, "DIRECT: deterministic radio-electric coverage tool," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 53(2):135–145, April 2011.
- Paper featured in the cover page: J. A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al. "ICARA: Induced Current Analysis of Reflector Antennas." IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, 47(2):92–100, March 2005.
- Mathematical Methods for Engineers
- Statistics and Probability
- Electromagnetic and Acoustic Fields and Waves
- Antennas and Radiation
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers International (ASME)
- IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S)
- IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMB-S)
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society (GRS-S)
- IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society (AES-S)
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S)
- I.A. Osaretin, M.W. Shields, J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, W.J. Blackwell, A Compact 118-GHz Radiometer Antenna for the Micro-Sized Microwave Atmospheric Satellite, IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, 13, 2014, 1533-1536
- Y. Rodriguez-Vaqueiro, C. Rappaport, J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, et al., Fourier-Based Imaging for Multistatic Radar Systems, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 62(8), 2014, 1798-1810
- Y. Alvarez, J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, C. Rappaport, et al., On the Combination of SAR and Model Based Techniques for High-Resolution Real-Time Two-Dimensional Reconstruction, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 62(10), 2014, 5180-5189
- Y. Rodriguez-Vaqueiro, J.A. Martinez-Lorenzo, On the use of Passive Reflecting Surfaces and Compressive Sensing Techniques for Detecting Security Threats at Standoff Distances, International Journal on Antennas and Propagation, 248351, 2014, 1-8
Research Interests include:
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
MIE/ECE Assistant Professor Jose Martinez-Lorenzo was awarded a $546K Department of Energy grant for "Fusing Thermoacoustic, Electromagnetic and Acoustic/Seismic Wave Fields for Subsurface Characterization and Imaging of Flow Transport".
The Center for STEM Education kicked off its 2017 Young Scholars Program on June 26, 2017, with 26 budding scientists and engineers from high schools at a variety of cities and towns in the Greater Boston area.
406 Egan Center
335 The Fenway