The Center for STEM Education kicked off its 2017 Young Scholars Program on June 26, 2017, with 26 budding scientists and engineers from high schools at a variety of cities and towns in the Greater Boston area.
You are here
- PhD (1998), Physics, Harvard University
- Keenan Award for Innovation in Undergraduate Education (2012), Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
- Best Student Paper – Oral (with Feras Eid) (2009), PowerMEMS 2009
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Distinguished Teaching (2007), Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
- NSF CAREER Award (2007)
- Solid mechanics – mechanics of materials
- Microelectromechanical systems
- American Society for Engineering Education
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Hill, F.A., T. Havel, A. John Hart, and C. Livermore, "Enhancing the Tensile Properties of Continuous Millimeter-Scale Carbon Nanotube Fibers by Densification," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 5, 7198–7207 (2013).
- Gu, L. and C. Livermore, "Compact passively self-tuning energy harvesting for rotating applications," Smart Materials and Structures 21, 015002 (9pp), (2012).
- Agarwal, G. and C. Livermore, "Chip-Based Size-Selective Sorting of Biological Cells using High Frequency Acoustic Excitation," Lab Chip 11, 2204-2211 (2011), DOI: 10.1039/C1LC20050J.
- Gu, L. and C. Livermore, "Impact-driven, frequency up-converting coupled vibration energy harvesting device for low frequency operation," Smart Materials and Structures 20, 045004 (2011).
- Eid, F., L.F. Velasquez-Garcia, and C. Livermore, "Design, Fabrication, and Demonstration of a MEMS Steam Generator for Ejector Pump Applications," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 20, 104007 (2010).
- Gu, L. and C. Livermore, "Passive self-tuning energy harvester for extracting energy from rotational motion," Applied Physics Letters 97, 081904 (2010).
- Jung, S. and C. Livermore, "Achieving Selective Assembly with Template Topography and Ultrasonically Induced Fluid Forces", Nano Letters 5, 2188-2194 (2005).
- T. Liu, R. St. Pierre, C. Livermore "Passively-switched Energy Harvester for Increased Operational Range", Smart Materials and Structures, 23(9), 2014, e095045
- X. Xie, Y. Zaitsev, L.F. Velásquez-García, S. Teller, C. Livermore "Scalable, MEMS-enabled, Vibrational Tactile Actuators for High Resolution Tactile Displays", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 24(12), 2014, 125014
- A.S. Dighe, C. Livermore "Single-use MEMS Sealing Valve with Integrated Actuation for Ultra Low-leak Vacuum Applications", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 24(10), 2014, 105011
- G. Agarwal, A. Servi, C. Livermore "Size-selective, Biocompatible, Manufacturable Platform for Structuring Deformable Microsystems", Lab on a Chip, 14(17), 2014, 3385-3393
- F.A. Hill, T. Havel, D. Lashmore, M. Schauer, C. Livermore "Storing Energy and Powering Small Systems with Mechanical Springs Made of Carbon Nanotube Yarn", Energy, 76, 2014, 318-325
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
MIE Associate Professor Carol Livermore and doctoral student Chenye Yang were awarded a patent for a “Sealable microvalve that can be repeatedly opened and sealed” that can be used for...
2016 Faculty and Staff Awards Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2015-2016 academic school year. Faculty...