MIE Associate Professor Carol Livermore and doctoral student Chenye Yang were awarded a patent for a “Sealable microvalve that can be repeatedly opened and sealed” that can be used for...
You are here
- PhD (1998), Physics, Harvard University
- Keenan Award for Innovation in Undergraduate Education (2012), Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
- Best Student Paper – Oral (with Feras Eid) (2009), PowerMEMS 2009
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award for Distinguished Teaching (2007), Department of Mechanical Engineering, MIT
- NSF CAREER Award (2007)
- Solid mechanics – mechanics of materials
- Microelectromechanical systems
- American Society for Engineering Education
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Hill, F.A., T. Havel, A. John Hart, and C. Livermore, "Enhancing the Tensile Properties of Continuous Millimeter-Scale Carbon Nanotube Fibers by Densification," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 5, 7198–7207 (2013).
- Gu, L. and C. Livermore, "Compact passively self-tuning energy harvesting for rotating applications," Smart Materials and Structures 21, 015002 (9pp), (2012).
- Agarwal, G. and C. Livermore, "Chip-Based Size-Selective Sorting of Biological Cells using High Frequency Acoustic Excitation," Lab Chip 11, 2204-2211 (2011), DOI: 10.1039/C1LC20050J.
- Gu, L. and C. Livermore, "Impact-driven, frequency up-converting coupled vibration energy harvesting device for low frequency operation," Smart Materials and Structures 20, 045004 (2011).
- Eid, F., L.F. Velasquez-Garcia, and C. Livermore, "Design, Fabrication, and Demonstration of a MEMS Steam Generator for Ejector Pump Applications," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 20, 104007 (2010).
- Gu, L. and C. Livermore, "Passive self-tuning energy harvester for extracting energy from rotational motion," Applied Physics Letters 97, 081904 (2010).
- Jung, S. and C. Livermore, "Achieving Selective Assembly with Template Topography and Ultrasonically Induced Fluid Forces", Nano Letters 5, 2188-2194 (2005).
- T. Liu, R. St. Pierre, C. Livermore "Passively-switched Energy Harvester for Increased Operational Range", Smart Materials and Structures, 23(9), 2014, e095045
- X. Xie, Y. Zaitsev, L.F. Velásquez-García, S. Teller, C. Livermore "Scalable, MEMS-enabled, Vibrational Tactile Actuators for High Resolution Tactile Displays", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 24(12), 2014, 125014
- A.S. Dighe, C. Livermore "Single-use MEMS Sealing Valve with Integrated Actuation for Ultra Low-leak Vacuum Applications", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 24(10), 2014, 105011
- G. Agarwal, A. Servi, C. Livermore "Size-selective, Biocompatible, Manufacturable Platform for Structuring Deformable Microsystems", Lab on a Chip, 14(17), 2014, 3385-3393
- F.A. Hill, T. Havel, D. Lashmore, M. Schauer, C. Livermore "Storing Energy and Powering Small Systems with Mechanical Springs Made of Carbon Nanotube Yarn", Energy, 76, 2014, 318-325
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
2016 Faculty and Staff Awards Congratulations to all the winners of the faculty and staff awards, and to everyone for their hard work and dedication during the 2015-2016 academic school year. Faculty...
Congratulations to this year’s class of COE Faculty Fellows: Kaushik Chowdhury, Carol Livermore, and Marilyn Minus.