MIE Teaching Professor Kris Jaeger-Helton and Associate Teaching Professor Bridget Smyser won the ASEE Design in Engineering Education Division (DEED) Best Paper Award for their paper entitled "Switching Midstream, Floundering Early, and Tolerance for Ambiguity: How Capstone Students Cope with Changing and Delayed Projects".
You are here
- PhD (2001), Human-Machine Systems Engineering, MIE, Northeastern University
- MS (1991) Biomechanics, Human Development Professions, Northeastern University
- Martin Essigmann Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Engineering Northeastern University, 2012
- Teaching Awards: Industrial Engineering Professor of the Year NU, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
- Student Group Award Recognition, College of Engineering (COE) Northeastern University (NU), 2012
- Teaching Award: Outstanding Teacher of First-Year Engineering Students, NU, 2011, 2007, 2003
- Students Speak Teaching Recognition, College of Engineering Northeastern University, 2011
- Teaching Award: Mechanical Engineering Professor of the Year Northeastern University, 2006
- Excellence in Mentoring Award, Northeastern University College of Engineering, 2006
- Best Paper at ASEE, 2nd or 3rd place, New Engineering Educators Division, 2013, 2009, 2008
- American Society for Engineering Education, 2 Campus Representative Awards, 2012
- Outstanding Paper Award at ASEE (coauthor), First-year Programs Division and Council, 2012 for 2011
- Outstanding Paper Award at ASEE (coauthor), 1st Overall in Annual Conference, 2011 for 2010
- Outstanding Paper Award at ASEE (coauthor), Freshman Programs Division, 2007
- Outstanding Paper Award at ASEE (coauthor), Environmental Engineering Division, 2005
- Engineering Design
- Human-Machine Systems
- Simulation Modeling & Analysis
- Statistics & Experimental Design
- Facilities Planning & Material Handling
- Computational Engineering Applicationss
- American Society for Engineering Education, Member, “NU Campus Representative & Division Program Chair”
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, Member
- Institute of Industrial Engineers, Member
- National Defense Industrial Association, Member
- Society of Automotive Engineers, Member
- Smyser BM & Jaeger BK (2015) How Did We End up Together: Evaluating Success Levels of Student-formed vs. Instructor-formed Capstone Teams, American Society for Engineering Education, Seattle, WA.
- Love, JO, Freeman, SF, Jaeger-Helton, BK, & Whalen, R (2015) No lab? No shop? No problem: Intentional design of a First Year Engineering Learning Center with enlightening outcomes. American Society for Engineering Education Conference Proceedings, Seattle, WA,
- Variawa C, Freeman S, Goldthwaite D, Jaeger BK, Pfluger C, Schulte-Grahame K, & Whalen R (2015) First-year Student Assumptions on Diversity in Engineering Education. American Society for Engineering Education, Seattle, WA.
- Jaeger BK & Smyser BM (2014) Student‐Generated Metrics as a Predictor of Success in Capstone Design. American Society for Engineering Education, Indianapolis, IN.
- Freeman, S, Jaeger, BK, & Whalen, R (2014) Making a First‐year Impression: Engineering Projects that Affect and Connect. American Society for Engineering Education, Indianapolis, IN.
- Ou, C, Gouldstone, A, Jaeger, BK, & Sipahi, R (2015) Control Design for A Hand Tremor Suppression Pen, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Columbus, OH, October.
- Belton, SE, Sipahi, R, Gouldstone, A, & Jaeger, BK (2015) Assistive Writing Device for Tremor Patients, NIH-IEEE 2015 Strategic Conference on Healthcare Innovations and Point-of-Care Technologies, Bethesda, MD, November.
- Zhi, N, Gouldstone, A, Jaeger, BK, Sipahi, R, & Frank, S (2015) Micrographia Analysis using Number of Peaks in Horizontal Projection Profile in Writing Samples, accepted, minor revisions, IEEE Journal of Biomedical & Health Informatics, October.
- Zhi, N, Jaeger, BK, Gouldstone, A, Frank, S, & Sipahi, R (2015) Objective Quantitative Assessment of Movement Disorders through Analysis of Static Handwritten Characters, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Columbus, OH, October 2015.
- Zhi, N, Jaeger, BK, Gouldstone, A, Frank, S, & Sipahi, R (2015) A Novel Quantitative Assessment Method to Detect Effects of Essential Tremor on Static Handwriting, Northeast Bioengineering Conference, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy, NY, April.
- Zhi, N, Jaeger, BK, Gouldstone, A, Frank, S, & Sipahi, R (2014) Quantitative Assessment of Amplified Air Writing in Mitigating Micrographia Associated with Parkinson’s Disease, IEEE Healthcare Innovation Point-of-Care Technologies Conference, Seattle, WA, October.
- Zhi, N., Jaeger, BK, Gouldstone, A, Frank, S, & Sipahi, R (2014) Quantitative Metrics to Monitor Effects of Micrographia in Handwriting: A Study with Historical Signature Samples, Grand Challenges in Parkinson’s Disease, September 24-25, 2014, Van Andel Institute, Michigan.
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
College Research Initiatives
Honors & Awards
MIE Teaching Professor Beverly Kris Jaeger-Helton was featured by BBC News in their article "How do you train to be a tennis umpire?"
Written by Alejandro Moreno, a third year BS/MS Industrial Engineering/Engineering Management student.
104 West Village G