There is a wide variety of research being done in the department taking place in NSF funded centers and in the faculty research labs.
Federally-Funded Research Centers
The Center for High-rate Nanomanufacturing (CHN) is a research center focused on nanomanufacturing processes and designing sensors and other products using these processes. Headquartered at Northeastern University in Boston, we create and translate knowledge so that nanotechnology can better meet global and societal needs.
Our research and development work falls into four broad categories: (1) Nanotechnology products and applications, (2) Nanomanufacturing processes, and (3) Environmental health & safety of nanomanufacturing and nano-products, and (4) Regulatory, legal and ethical issues related to nanomanufacturing.
Northeastern University’s Healthcare Systems Engineering (HSyE) program is a university-level Institute that has focused on improving healthcare efficiency, quality, logistics, safety, flow, effectiveness, and access for more than 30 years. We have a simple mission: To broadly impact healthcare improvement through education, research, and application in systems engineering methods. We accomplish this mission through our HSyE undergraduate and graduate academic programs, national experiential coop education and summer internship programs, three federally-awarded healthcare IE centers, competitive scholarships, and strategic partnerships. We rely on deep industry-university partnerships to advance the shared missions of healthcare improvement and workforce development.
The research laboratories in the department reflect the diversity of the faculty research interests
- Advanced Materials Processing Laboratory (AMPL)
- Biomedical Mechatronics Laboratory
- Bio-nano Robotics
- Complex Dynamic Systems and Control Laboratory
- Computational Energy and Combustion Laboratory
- Extra-cellular Matrix Lab
- High Performance Materials and Structures Laboratory
- Intelligent Human-Machine Systems (IHMS) Laboratory
- Micro/Nano Biomechanical Characterization Laboratory
- Macromolecular Innovations in Nanomaterial Utilizing Systems Laboratory (MINUS Lab)
- Nanomedical System Laboratory
- Piezoective Systems Laboratory
- Quaility and Productivity Research Laboratory
- Sensing, Imaging, Control, Actuation, and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (SICA-LAB)
- Thermodynamics and Combustion Laboratory
- VA Healthcare Engineering Resource Center
- Virtual Environments