The MIE Department offers comprehensive research and educational programs for both MS and PhD students in both traditional mechanical and industrial engineering disciplines, as well as applied programs. Our cutting-edge and vibrant programs in Doctoral Programs (PhD) include Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Interdisciplinary (across the College of Engineering); while our Masters Programs (MS) consist of Mechanical Engineering with concentrations in Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanics and Design, Mechatronic, and Thermofluids Engineering as well as Industrial Engineering with concentration in Operations Research. We also offer unbeatable professional MS programs in Energy Systems and Engineering Management; both of which are also available online. These extensive programs and concentrations allow for the selection of a degree that meets a wide variety of personal needs and professional goals.
The primary mission of Northeastern’s Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) Department is the education of PhD and MS students in the fundamental principles and practice of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. Furthermore, in accordance with the mission of Northeastern University and College of Engineering, the MIE Department will, through the basic and applied research done by its faculty and students, contribute to the advancement of the body of knowledge useful to industry and government of the State as well as the Nation.
Faculty Research Profile
With 48+ professors and growing, the world-class department includes two National Academy of Engineering members, one Institute of Medicine member, and numerous winners of prestigious young investigator awards and fellows of professional societies for contributions to the engineering profession. Each year the department receives on average over $10 million in funding to pursue use-inspired and fundamental research in many emerging fields that support and enhance our degree programs. Our federally-funded research centers (e.g., Center for High-rate Nanomanufacturing (CHN), a National Science Foundation Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center; Center for Health Organization Transformation (CHOT), a multi-university healthcare systems National Science Foundation Industry-University Cooperative Research Center; and CMS Innovation Center for Healthcare Systems Engineering, funded by the Department of Health and Human Services) demonstrate our leadership in key applications that create knowledge and impact society.
Graduate Student Profile
With over 1200 graduate students (1000+ MS and 130 PhD), our graduate students body create a vibrant community of peers from across the United States and the world. In addition, Northeastern’s urban campus, located in downtown Boston, facilitates tremendous collaborations with other nearby academic institutions, hospital facilities, and tech firms. Such natural and geographic resources provide greater influence on our students body to interact with world class researchers and entities.
Graduate Documents & Forms
A variety important documents and related forms are listed below.
- PhD Qualifying Examination Form: contact Mr. Jake Kearney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- PhD Qualifying Examinations Guidelines
- ME/IE PhD Oral Exam (Dissertation Proposal): contact Mr. Jake Kearney (email@example.com)
- ME/IE PhD Dissertation Proposal completion form: contact Mr. Jake Kearney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ME/IE PhD Dissertation Completion Form: contact Mr. Jake Kearney (email@example.com)
- Template for Announcing PhD Dissertation Proposal Defense (To be submitted at least 1 week prior to proposal date): contact Mr. Jake Kearney (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Template for Announcing PhD Dissertation or MS Thesis Defense (To be submitted at least 1 week prior to proposal date): contact Mr. Jake Kearney (email@example.com)
MIE Course Registration Forms
Download the form, complete the pdf (choose the correct option on the pull-down menus), save, and email or submit in paper form to the first required approver.
- MIE Petition (Not for Independent Study, MS Project, PhD Candidacy Preparation, Dissertation, and/or Dissertation Continuation)
- MIE Registration Override Form A: General
- MIE Registration Override Form B: Independent Study/MS Project/Thesis/Thesis Continuation
- MIE Registration Override Form C: Dissertation, Dissertation Continuation or PhD Candidacy Preparation
For more forms, check the COE Graduate Forms website.