Data Analytics Engineering offers students an opportunity to train for industry jobs or to acquire rigorous analytical skills and research experience to prepare for a doctoral program in health, security, and sustainability at Northeastern University. The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) offers this degree program in order to meet the current and projected demand for a workforce trained in analytics. While the core courses for this program are offered by the College of Engineering, elective courses can be chosen from diverse disciplines spread across various colleges at Northeastern. The MS degree in data analytics engineering is designed to enable the graduating students to address the growing need for professionals who are trained in advanced data analytics and can transform large streams of data into understandable and actionable information for the purpose of making decisions. The key sectors that require analytics professionals include healthcare, smart manufacturing, supply chain and logistics, national security, defense, banking, finance, marketing, and human resources.
The MS in Data Analytics Engineering is designed to help students acquire knowledge and skills to:
- Discover opportunities to improve systems, processes, and enterprises through data analytics
- Apply optimization, statistical, and machine-learning methods to solve complex problems involving large data from multiple sources
- Collect and store data from a variety of sources, including Internet of Things (IoT), an integrated network of devices and sensors, customer touch points, processes, social media, and people
- Work with technology teams to design and build large and complex SQL databases
- Use tools and methods for data mining, big-data algorithms, and data visualization to generate reports for analysis and decision making
- Create integrated views of data collected from multiple sources of an enterprise
- Understand and explain results of data analytics to decision makers
- Design and develop analytics projects
This degree program seeks to prepare students for a comprehensive list of tasks including collecting, storing, processing and analyzing data, reporting statistics and patterns, drawing conclusions and insights, and making actionable recommendations.
Students enrolled in the MS in Data Analytics Engineering have the opportunity to also pursue one of the many engineering graduate certificate options in addition to or in combination with this program. Students should consult their faculty advisor regarding these options. The MS in Data Analytics Engineering can be combined with a Gordon Engineering Leadership certificate. Learn more about the benefits of this unique program.
The M.S. programs' student learning outcome is
- The ability to use basic engineering concepts flexibly in a variety of contexts.